Tuesday, January 12, 2010
HG's Kickin' Buttermilk Faux-Fried Chicken
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat buttermilk (I used skim since I didn't have buttermilk)
- 1/8 tsp. paprika (Hungarian is the best)
- 12 oz. raw boneless skinless lean chicken breast tenders (about 10 pieces)
- 1/3 cup Fiber One bran cereal (original)
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs (like the kind by Progresso)
- 1 tbsp. dry onion soup mix
- Optional: salt, to taste
- Optional: If you want a kick, add a shake or two of hot sauce to the milk
In a large sealable container or plastic bag, combine buttermilk with paprika and mix well.
Add chicken and coat completely. Seal and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a large baking sheet by spraying it with nonstick spray. Set aside.
Using a blender or food processor, grind Fiber One cereal to a breadcrumb-like consistency. Pour crumbs into a large bowl. Add panko breadcrumbs and onion soup mix. If you like, add a dash or two of salt. Mix thoroughly.
One at a time, remove each piece of chicken from container/bag, give it a shake (to get rid of excess buttermilk), coat it evenly with the crumb mixture, and lay it flat on the baking sheet.
Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Flip carefully (tongs work well!), and then bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until outsides are crispy and chicken is cooked through. CRUNCH time!
MAKES 2 SERVINGS
Serving Size: 1/2 of recipe, about 5 piecesCalories: 315 Fat: 5g Sodium: 586mg Carbs: 25.5g Fiber: 5g Sugars: 3g Protein: 43g POINTS® value 6*