I love making dinners that are easy to put together, taste delicious, and looks great on your plate. Today’s recipe is for flank steak marinated in a spice rub that has been skewered with summertime vegetables and grilled to perfection. Serve it with BBQ sauce for an added kick to your palate.
Flank Steak and Vegetable Kebobs
2 lb beef flank steak, cut into 1 ½ inch pieces
8 button mushrooms
8 cherry tomatoes
1 small zucchini or yellow squash, cut into ¾ inch pieces
1 small sweet red onion, cut into wedges
1 small green, orange, or red sweet pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
Spice Rub (see recipe below)
BBQ Sauce (from the bottle or see recipe below)
- In a large bowl, combine Spice Rub and steak pieces. Stir to coat steak.
- Brush mushrooms and vegetables with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- On eight long metal skewers, alternately thread steak, mushrooms, tomatoes, zucchini, onion, and sweet pepper.
- For a charcoal grill, grill skewers on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 8 to 12 minutes or until desired doneness, turning occasionally.
- For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place skewers on grill rack over heat. Cover; grill as above.
- Serve meat and vegetables with BBQ Sauce. Makes 8 servings.
In a small bowl, stir together 4 teaspoons garlic powder; 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed; 1/2 teaspoon sea salt; 1/2 teaspoon sugar; 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed; 1/2 teaspoon paprika; and 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper.
In a 2-quart saucepan, stir together 5 cloves roasted garlic or 2 teaspoons bottled minced roasted garlic, 1 cup ketchup, 1/2 cup finely chopped celery, 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion, 1/2 cup water, 1/4 cup packed brown sugar, 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 cup cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 25 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly. Transfer to a blender or food processor. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Makes about 1-3/4 cups.
This dish is great served with rice and a garden fresh salad.
Enjoy this simply easy and tasty meal!
Creativity Bug ~ Sue