Chicken Vegetable Barley Soup
2 lbs skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 ½ cup chopped fresh mushrooms
2 celery stalks, diced
1 cup chopped carrot
½ cup chopped onion
½ cup chopped pepper (red, green, yellow, or orange)
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons dried basil, crushed
1 teaspoon dried parsley, crushed
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
6 cups chicken broth
1 lbs potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 ¾ cups)
½ cup quick cooking barley
- In a medium bowl, toss chicken breast pieces with poultry seasoning; set aside
- In a Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms, celery, carrot, onion, pepper, garlic, basil, parsley, and black pepper. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove vegetables from Dutch oven; set aside.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to Dutch oven; heat over medium head. Add chicken pieces and cook for about 5 minutes or until browned; stir occasionally.
- Return vegetables to Dutch oven. Add broth and bring to boil.
- Add potatoes and barley to Dutch oven, return to boil, and reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer about 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Makes 8 (1 ½ cup) servings.
Creativity Bug ~ Sue