I love Mexican food and have been craving it for a while. When I discovered this recipe a while back on the Better Homes and Garden website, I knew it was going to be added to my “recipe to try” pile.
What I like about the recipe is that you can easily substitute some of the ingredients for healthier things such as ground turkey or ground sirloin for the ground beef, while still maintaining the taste.
Beef and Bean Enchilada Casserole (adapted from bhg.com)
½ pound lean ground beef (or ground turkey or ground sirloin)
½ cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed (or kidney beans or black beans)
1 4-ounce can diced green chili peppers
1 8-ounce carton dairy sour cream (or light dairy sour cream)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
8 (6 inches) corn tortillas (or whole wheat tortillas)
1 10-ounce can green or red enchilada sauce
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese (or Colby-Jack, Monterey Jack, 3-blend Mexican, or 2% fat cheese)
- In a large skillet cook the ground beef, onion, chili powder, and cumin until onion is tender and meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir beans and undrained chili peppers into meat mixture; set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl stir together sour cream, flour, and garlic powder until combined; set aside.
- Place half of the tortillas in the bottom of a lightly greased 2-quart rectangular baking dish, cutting to fit if necessary. Top with half of the meat mixture, half of the sour cream mixture, and half of the enchilada sauce. Repeat layers. Cover dish with plastic wrap; chill in refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
- To serve: Preheat oven to 350F. Remove plastic wrap; cover dish with foil. Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until bubbly. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese and bake 5 minutes more. Makes 6 servings.
- Calories 429
- Protein (gm) 19
- Carbohydrate (gm) 36
- Fat, total (gm) 24
- Cholesterol (mg) 64
- Dietary Fiber, total (gm) 6
- Sodium (mg) 632
I hope you enjoy this week’s recipe!
Creativity Bug ~ Sue