When I found this recipe for Key lime pie poke cake, I knew it was something worth trying.
Key Lime Pie Poke Cake
1 box white cake mix
1 ¼ cups water
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Key Lime Filling
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
¾ cup whipping cream
½ cup Key lime juice
1 teaspoon grated lime peel
4 drops yellow food coloring
1 drop green food coloring
1 container vanilla frosting
2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- Heat oven to 350°F for shiny metal or glass pan (or 325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Spray bottom only of 13x9-inch pan with baking spray with flour.
- In large bowl, beat cake ingredients with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan.
- Bake 26 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes. With handle of wooden spoon (1/4 to 1/2 inch in diameter), poke holes almost to bottom of cake every 1/2 inch, wiping spoon handle occasionally to reduce sticking.
- In medium bowl, stir together filling ingredients (mixture will thicken). Pour over cake; spread evenly over surface, working back and forth to fill holes. (Some filling should remain on top of cake.) Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Spread frosting over cake; sprinkle with lime peel. Garnish with strawberries, lime slices and lemon leaves. Store loosely covered in refrigerator.
** If Key lime is not in season or you can't find it at your grocer, invest in real Key lime juice that can be found at places like Trader Joe's.
Creativity Bug ~ Sue